Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Day 18: Thursday, August 28th

Three miles north of the Lee County Line to Rochelle: Dropped off by Dennis Weiler at 6:05 A.M. and started walking north thru Compton, where my name was on the community sign board, walked across highway US 30, to just south of I-88, where I was met by my friend Jerry Blum (a retired teacher who taught with my son Kevin at Buffalo Grove HS), who drove his bike out for a short road trip. Jerry brought burgers, fries and sodas for a roadside lunch. This was literally meals on wheels. After lunch I proceeded across I-88 (again, very tough to do with my three wheel vehicle, as no one will slow down to give you a break) and into Rochelle (in latitude reference, even with the north border of St. Charles), arriving at 1:30 P.M. I was greeted by my host Guy Bays, Commander of VFW Post #3878, the Mayor, Chet Olson, and several members of the VFW post. I have a motel room for the night where I am resting, compliments of the post members. I will be treated to a rib dinner at the post later this evening. Leg is solid, blisters are tolerable. 41 more miles to go.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your name on the sign, you hit the big time now. Enjoy your BBQ, your almost done. We are all so proud of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,

    All set to meet you for lunch at Rte 72 & Rte 251 on Friday.

    Will find a nice place for a burger and a beverage.

    Bringing a mystery guestnas a surprise.

    Safe travels my old friend!

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete